Sunday, 3 January 2016

A day out in London

Happy New Year all! Hope you've had a lovely holiday season. We've been so lucky to have an amazing ten day break spent catching up with family and friends. One of my favourite days was spent in London with our wonderful friends from Scotland and we were so lucky to get incredible blue skies. I booked tickets for the London Eye to celebrate my godson William's 3rd birthday and both he and his brother were so excited.


We met up at St. George's Wharf to catch the Thames Clipper down to Bankside which went down a treat with the boys who were so excited to see London from the river.  There is so much to see as you walk along Bankside and we arrived in perfect time for a super lunch at the riverside Strada. I haven't been to a Strada for years and was so impressed - friendly, super speedy staff and delicious food. 


Seeing London from the Eye is such an amazing experience and we went up in our pod just in time to watch the sun set over the Thames and beyond.


It reminded me of an amazing video I saw a few years ago of London in 1927 - literally one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. I know I'm prone to exaggeration, but seriously - it is Ah.mazing! 

In 1927, Claude Friese-Greene shot one of the first-ever colour films all around London using a technique called Biocolour that was created by his father. 


What is absolutely extraordinary about this film is how wonderfully familiar London feels. When I worked near St. Pauls in my 20's I used to walk home along the Thames and I have such fond memories of those walks. Also, if you loved the song played in the first half of the film like I did, it's called Parasol by Jonquil. I have it as my alarm and it's a lovely way to wake up each morning.

Wishing you all a very happy new year filled with peace, love and laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment