Thursday, 8 January 2015

Dinner at The Dove, Tortola

Happy new year! I hope you had a lovely festive break and enjoyed some time off with family and friends. We had a wonderful time up in Scotland on the Glen Tanar estate which I will try and blog about this week. In the meantime, as promised, I want to whisk you away to the British Virgin Islands to my favourite restaurant on Tortola: The Dove ... just for a few minutes okay?



I first went to The Dove in March 2006 with our friends who had recently moved to the island. It is one of those nights that I just never forgot. The food was amazing, the wine was amazing, we had such fun laughing at dinner although I can't remember about what now. I remember the Friday night atmosphere as people gathered for Friday night drinks in the garden area which has a huge mango tree in the middle of it.

It's just such a cool place.



The Dove is in the centre of Road Town and occupies a historic West Indian cottage. It was opened in 2003 by Paloma and Scott, a couple who shared a dream of opening a fine dining and wine bar establishment in the heart of Tortola. Well that dream certainly came true.



The interior decor is just my cup of tea - wooden exposed beams, painted wooden clad walls, quirky accessories and candle lit. Very understated, very simple and very cool. The menu is seasonal and pretty much everything is made by scratch in their kitchen by Chef Joshua Campbell and his team. We snuck in for dinner on a Wednesday night and started the evening off outside on the patio with some dark & stormy cocktails. I did manage to sneak a couple of photographs in before it got busy but I was trying hard not to be the annoying person taking photographs of everything so there are only a few...







I wanted everything on the menu naturally. It all sounded soooooo good. 



This is the Korobuta pork chop. The kitchen kindly made me a non-dairy version which was absolutely incredible. The one above is the real deal. 



Sweet potato fries. Found it hard to share these, I'm not going to lie. 



And the crispy eggplant zucchini cakes also looked flipping amazing.























We had a lovely bottle of red from the very extensive wine list and chatted away the evening. It was perfect.

Thank you so much to Paloma, Scott, Joshua and the lovely team at the Dove for such a wonderful evening.

All the best for a super 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment