Friday, 19 December 2014

Radio silence

This blog post isn't to do with interior design, or anything like that. I'm writing this because I got an email yesterday from a lovely lady who I've never met before, asking what had been going on and why I hadn't been blogging lately. I have been meaning to update the blog for so many weeks now but I just never get to it. To start with I went on holiday in November for two weeks which was absolutely amazing and if you follow west egg on instagram you'll have seen that we were very lucky to get lots of winter sun in the British Virgin Islands. It was great to get away and recharge our batteries. I deliberately didn't blog while I was away, and although I'm sure you've come to expect the erratic blogging schedule here, I'm sorry if you've missed the west egg blog. I have missed it too.

The day after we returned from holiday, and after I'd been to collect the dog, I found our dear friend and neighbour, Keith, unconscious on his kitchen floor. He'd had a massive stroke and a heart attack. The last few weeks have been a blur of hospital visits, late-night long-winded discussions about the most minute improvements and of course lots of time on google trying to understand strokes and what the likely outcome might be. It's been really tough.

Last night when I saw Keith it was the first time that I saw the old Keith, the one we know and love. The tiny glimmer of hope, that was so faint to start with, is growing stronger day by day. So much so that the idea of him coming home doesn't seem crazy at all.

I couldn't possibly list the ways that Keith has impacted our lives here in Blunham, he has come to the rescue so many times. We love spending time with him, he has the funniest sense of humour and the most wonderful laugh and when he laughed last night in hospital it was the most amazing thing.

So that's where I've been. The whole thing knocked me sideways if I'm honest, and everything else has fallen by the wayside. But we're getting back on track now and looking forward to spending christmas and new year with family and friends. I feel a renewed sense of making the most of each moment and as 2015 lurks around the corner, I couldn't be more excited.

I'll be back soon with a lovely post about one of my favourite spots in Tortola.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Louisa

8 comments:

  1. Louise, what a rough few weeks you've had. I'm so sorry to hear that the reason you've been away from the blog has to do with illness. My mother suffered two strokes so I know all to well the impact it can have on one's life. I sure hope Keith makes a smooth recovery and that you manage to get some down time to soak up some love this Christmas and New Year. Much love, Holly xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly. He is recovering well now and we feel like life can go back to normal a little. Look forward to seeing you in 2015. x

      Delete
  2. I am happy that you are alright and, of course, sorry to hear about Keith. I am glad that he is getting better. I wondered about you for over a month before I e-mailed you. You were a fairly prolific writer and it wasn't like you to be so long between blogs. I was imagining death, divorce, injury, fire, etc. I follow several blogs and one blogger hasn't blogged since April - and mention of her blog has been dropped from her employer's website, which is strange because she is a key executive and the business belongs to her father, and she didn't respond to my e-mail. Bloggers may think they are alone but there are many people, unseen, in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate what you say "bloggers may think they are alone but there are many people, unseen, in their lives". Blogging is a funny old business, and sometimes I forget people do read this! All the best wishes for a wonderful 2015, x

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your friend and neighbour. I hope he recovers quickly. He's lucky to have such great friends nearby. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Great friends are a blessing, and we were certainly blessed. We are praying he will come home soon. X

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! Keith is lucky to have such a caring neighbour/friend in his life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shoba that's very kind, but truthfully, we were lucky to have him. Lots of love and luck for a wonderful 2015. x

      Delete