Thursday, 9 October 2014

Style + Substance Workshop at Komedal Road Studio, Bainbridge Island

As promised I've finally got my act together and uploaded the images from the Style + Substance Workshop I taught at Komedal Road Studio back in September. It was the most lovely day spent with a wonderful group who I know are going to go on and do amazing things.




So this workshop was all about the style and substance of starting up a creative business. The morning focused on in the styling side - looking at areas like organising photoshoots, working with photographers, ideal photography for online stores and all the little inside tips we've picked up along the way. The afternoon session was much more about the practical side of running a business, dealing with everything from cash flow to getting featured in magazines and using social media for business.



I didn't manage to take many photographs myself as I was too busy with everyone else. But I did snap this lovely distressed vintage coat peg by the entryway to the studio. Take a look at Komedal Road online to see some of their beautiful homewares and clothing.



I brought this antique soup ladle over from England as a little gift for my lovely friend Liz Le Dorze. We used it in some of the publicity photographs for the workshop (shot by Charlotte Murphy) so it seemed an appropriate gift. The giraffe wallpaper behind is by my favourite wallpaper company Abnormals Anonymous. The grey wooden box was one of the pieces painted at the Paint Like A Pro workshop the weekend before. The method of using white wax to sit in the grain was one of the most popular finishes that day.





Lunch was a very low-key affair with lots of different kinds of delicious salads. We picked up all the ingredients from the brilliant Town & Country Market store downtown Bainbridge Island. I always love lunchtimes at workshops, not just because I am usually super hungry, but it's great to just chat and listen to other people's experiences and stories. Particularly at the start up workshop, people always start to formulate more plans by this point and are firing up with lots of ideas and inspirations.





The afternoon was a busy old time with so much material to get through. I really love to share so much information on this workshop, but really I think it could do with being over two days as sometimes it's a little like information overload I'm sure.

Before I knew it the workshop had finished, we had a little toast to a wonderful few weeks and then I was off to head over to Seattle for my last night before I flew home the following day. This was the view from the ferry as I left. As you can probably imagine I am so excited to head back in March 2015.





The date for the Style + Substance workshop in March hasn't been confirmed yet, but if you'd like to reserve a place please email me at louisa@westegg.co.uk and I will save a spot for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment