Thursday, 17 April 2014

Paper Hammer

When I was in Seattle last month I was lucky enough to stumble across Paper Hammer. If you are a stationery nerd, you are going to LOVE Paper Hammer. I could have spent hours in there, and I wanted to buy everything.



I visited their store at 1400 2nd Ave in Seattle, but the Paper Hammer studio is based in Tieton, Washington. It's such an interesting story behind the company itself, but first I have to share with you the story of Mighty Tieton.

So, Tieton is a town in the Yakima Valley in Central Washington. It has beautiful apple, pear, cherry and apricot orchards surrounding it and it also has the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains as a backdrop - sounds amazing doesn't it? Unfortunately, with the loss of many of the small family owned farms in the area, the economy suffered badly, particularly in the local town of Tieton. The collective 'Mighty Tieton' is a group of businesses that connect urban professionals like designers, architects and artists with studio and production space utilising unused buildings with the purpose of revitalising the local economy.

They are literally bringing this area back to life which is beyond inspiring - I think TED should ask them to do a talk at one of their events. It would be amazing to hear even more about this incredible story. Ed Marquand, the founder of Paper Hammer described it as "a romantic idea that has become a compelling story". I think that sums it up perfectly. There is lots more information on the Mighty Tieton website which you can visit here. When I go back to Seattle in the autumn, I am definitely organising a trip out to Tieton to see and visit all these amazing businesses.

So, back to Paper Hammer. Ed Marquand set up Marquand Books which produces books for museums. He wanted to set up a design studio where he could produce art books for private clients and work on different aspects of design that interested him. The result is Paper Hammer. They kindly let me take lots of photos to share with you all so here, come on a little tour with me:

































Paper Hammer have an online store with a selection of some of their stationery, notebooks, posters and gifts. Take a look here. I can't wait to go and visit their studio in Tieton in autumn and see their production in action. I might also try to take the handwriting workshop if there is one on while I'm over on Bainbridge Island - it looks wonderful - you can read more about that here.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my visit to Paper Hammer, I bought a ton of loot I'll share with you another time as that is kind of a post in itself ;)

8 comments:

  1. Louisa: Thanks so much for your post. Paper Hammer's never been described better! Please do come visit. We will show you all kinds of things that we are working on here, and by then our typographic mosaic signage studio will be in full swing. We are happy to give tours when we can--so long as they are scheduled in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed - you're very welcome! I loved my visit, can't wait to visit Tieton in September - I would love to do a tour so I will definitely be in touch.

      Delete
  2. Hi Louisa,

    My name is Andrew Grant. I'm part of the crew working in Tieton, WA. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog post about your visit to Paper Hammer in downtown Seattle. It's certainly one of my favorite shops in the city. I recently started working out here in Tieton only a few weeks ago but so far I love it! It's nice to get away from the city and be surrounded by rolling brown hills on every side. Some of my responsibilities include helping Ed with various design projects, getting the Tieton Mosaic Project up and running as well as establishing a ceramics manufacturing studio as we transition to selling ceramic ware in the Paper Hammer store in Seattle. We have a busy summer ahead of us.

    Feel free to message me if you'd like. Looking forward to meeting you out here in Tieton when you return to the Northwest. Cheers!

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, thank you for commenting here. I can't wait to explore Tieton and see the Mosaic Project - it sounds fantastic. I'm also excited to see the ceramics studio too - definitey sounds like you guys are going to be busy! See you soon, Louisa

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post! Thanks so much, Louisa. We're so happy you enjoyed Paper Hammer. Do keep in touch for your upcoming trip. Tieton makes for a lovely getaway from the city, and tours of the warehouse, studio, and galleries are a highlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, loved my visit and honestly, I could have bought EVERYTHING! Louisa

      Delete
  4. Very interesting! All news to me . . . and the handwriting workshop sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AM - glad you liked it! Shall we take the class together in September if there is one on while I am over? L

      Delete