Monday, 7 April 2014

New West Egg Design: The Carraway Coffee Table

Hello all, I've got some really exciting news to share with you. For about as long as I can remember I've had in my mind a grey and white stripey top coffee table with a metal frame. I wanted the top to be fresh and fun but also reversible so that you can have different options depending on the time of year. We get a lot of requests for coffee tables but since you don't really get antique coffee tables and not everyone wants to use a vintage trunk as a coffee table, I wanted to design one myself.

Finally coming up with a design took me ages as I'm not a trained designer and I find it so difficult to translate what I can see in my head to paper to actual product. I worked really closely with a metal expert and my local wood mill to produce a coffee table that works proportionally and practically. I have to give these two amazing teams credit because they really put my idea into action and made this happen. They were very patient with the adjustments and made sure it looked absolutely spot on. The wooden planks are thick enough so they will never sag under the weight of whatever is on the coffee table. I always cringe when I see shelves just heaving under the weight of the items on there. I just feel it is a total false economy to use a thinner piece because in the end it won't last and looks awful.

The wooden planks are the perfect size depth for the inlaid metal rim which holds them in place and they are also cut perfectly so they are tight enough to look smart, but loose enough so they can be lifted out and switched over.

The metal work is left really simple, I didn't want the welding marks to be rubbed away and the frame has a lovely matt finish which will distress naturally over time. It's a rustic finish to give it a low key look. We also added small rubber tabs to each corner underside so that flooring does not get damaged in any way.

But really the best bit about this design is that because each one is made to order, you can order whatever size and finish you prefer. So if you want black and white stripes - no problem!



































Okay, so..... what do you think? I would LOVE to hear your feedback on this coffee table so please leave me a comment below and let me know.

For dimensions, ordering and more info please click here or visit West Egg's online store.

1 comment:

  1. well done I always love these kind of tables ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there, thank you so much for leaving a comment on the west egg blog. I'm so happy to connect with the readers of this blog and I always try and reply to new comments as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...