The course is limited to 6 people and, as with all our workshops, it's an informal environment with plenty of one to one tuition for each participant. The course will be held at our studio and workshop in Blunham, Bedfordshire which is 5 minutes from the A1. For more details about the location and address etc, please click here. The date of this workshop is 12/13 October 2013.
The course will cover i) basic furniture restoration, ii) furniture painting and decorative techniques including decoupage, and iii) basic upholstery. For each section, I will start from the beginning, including all basic techniques for each part of the course so please don't worry if you have no experience at all. Once you've mastered the basics, we'll move into more complicated techniques with lots of detail for those of you planning to paint professionally.
Saturday (10:00 am - 5:00 pm)
- Introduction to the workshop
- Choosing furniture; how to source pieces and what to look out for.
- Preparation tips for all types of furniture including heavily varnished pieces.
- Basic repair work, how to remove stains, guidance on tools and materials required.
- Furniture painting using chalk paints.
Sunday (9:00 am - 4:00 pm)
- Waxing unpainted furniture and finishing techniques for unpainted furniture.
- Different decorative techniques for painted furniture including distressing and authentic French country style, crackle effect, decoupage and gilding.
- Finishing techniques including waxing, varnishing and sealing.
- Basic upholstery - how to upholster simple projects such as a drop in seat dining chair, stool or footstool.
If you'd like to come along to this course, you will need to bring 2-3 pieces of small furniture to work on. Ideally, two pieces of wooden furniture (it doesn't matter if they are varnished or unvarnished) and an upholstery project such as a piano stool, small footstool with legs, or a dining chair with a drop in seat. I will also be working on a few pieces of furniture so you will be able to see the progress over the course of the weekend. If you don't have furniture that you think is going to be suitable, don't worry, just send us an email and we will source some pieces for you at cost price.
The best bit about this workshop (and it's the same for our normal one day workshops) is that you will be working on actual pieces of furniture rather than just painting pieces of MDF which is a) boring and b) a bit pointless as no piece of furniture is as simple as a piece of MDF.
The cost of this workshop is £225 per person and includes the following:
- All materials for the weekend, including paints and waxes etc.
- A full set of notes for each stage of the course with a breakdown of instructions for each process.
- A one litre tin of Autentico chalk paint, a tin of wax and a paint brush.
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks, all refreshments and freshly baked cakes.
Where To Stay / Accommodation Nearby
There are several B&Bs in the area, please let us know if you require accommodation and we will send you a list of local options.
UPDATE: Thank you for all the enquiries about this workshop being repeated, there will be another weekend course in Spring 2014. If you'd like to know when the dates are finalised, please add yourself to our mailing list by clicking here or visit www.westegg.co.uk and scroll down on the front page. Thank you.