Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Meet The Blogger London || Behind The Scenes

This last weekend I was in London for the Meet The Blogger conference because I was invited by the MTB team to present a workshop called "Revamp Your Vintage Furniture". Although I teach furniture painting workshops twice a month, this was a big deal for me to stand up and present in front of a group of bloggers. I was pretty nervous on the drive down to London on Saturday morning, but I think some nerves are good aren't they? As well as trying to keep my nerves under control, I was also dealing with lots of excitement because I knew I would see so many friends I have met through blogging including my favourite girls from the #BYWStudio last December - Holly @ Avenue Lifestyle, Brigitte @ Little Star Blog, Dani @ andcute, Louise @ 30s Magazine and Geraldine @ Little Big Bell. I also made lots of new friends and have spent lots of time yesterday and today checking out a whole host of new blogs. 

I thought I'd give you a little behind the scenes look at what we got up during the first day at the conference. The conference took place at the ME Hotel on the Strand in London which has only recently opened. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly which was lovely as 5* hotels can sometimes be a little intimidating I think. 


So, the photograph on the left is the most impossible to photograph room in the world... the hotel reception. It is a giant pyramid that is several stories high and they project images onto the marble walls. You can just about make out the New York skyline - very apt since this is where I am off to next on my blogging adventures. Next is a quick snap from the top of the hotel. We were given a guided tour of the hotel after the conference, it was amazing to see the view because despite the grey weather, London is still so spectacular. It was funny to see the Shard looming in the background, as a non-Londoner these days it still seems very new to me. 


Let's go clockwise through this few photos, first is me doing a demonstration during my workshop - thank you Dani for taking this photograph.  Next is Louise Smith from Dulux, the main sponsor of the conference, presenting the very latest in colours and interiors trends for 2013. It was a really interesting presentation with some fun and upbeat videos to keep us engaged. Dulux also provided some beautiful and super colourful treats which were delicious - I just managed to get this photo before they disappeared. Then the next photo  is me with my friend Tracey from Chalkboard Living. We already knew each other through our blogs and twitter so it was brilliant to finally meet her and say hello in real life. And lastly, along with the other speakers, I was presented with a lovely bunch of flowers from The Academy of Flowers at the end of the conference. They are now at home taking pride of place in the sitting room. 


After the conference, I got changed and headed over to Liverpool Street to the Andaz hotel for dinner. Louise had organised for us to exchange snailmail gifts. Have you heard of this? I hadn't but it's very simple, you basically prepare a small package for a friend - it's all about the wrapping rather than extravagant gifts. If you search for #snailmail on Pinterest you'll see some amazing examples. It was really fun to take part, I'll do a separate post on what I received. 

On Sunday morning a random platter of fresh fruit arrived in my hotel room. This was a very nice surprise but I am not sure who to thank, thank you whoever arranged this for me. It was delicious and I felt very healthy. For my first day off in over 2 weeks and since I was feeling shattered, I decided to lie in bed until 10:30am watching TV which was a total luxury. I caught up on the tweets and instagram pics from the day before and watched the Sunday brunch programme on channel 4 which is a bit of a guilty pleasure - I find those two guys quite funny to watch. Shhh don't tell anyone.

I included this last shot of the clothes I wore to the design tour because I can completely obsessed with the scarves from Oliver Bonas. Have you seen them? Take a look here. I love my turquoise big spot scarf, I also have it in grey. I wear scarves all year round, I just love them. My husband admitted to me that when we first met he thought I must have boils on my neck because I always wore scarves. How flattering. Anyway, I digress... So, this was what I got up to on Saturday and a bit of Sunday - a little behind the scenes for you. 

I'll post separately about the design tour led by Tina Bernstein from the Colour Living blog so watch out for that soon. Have a good day everyone and stay warm and toasty if you're in the UK (brrr). 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Louisa - so lovely to meet you at the event this weekend. Had such a great time :) Your images are great and I loved your workshop.
    Hope you have a wonderful week, and I look forward to keeping in touch on the blogs. Take care,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anya, it was such a pleasure to meet you too! I'm so pleased you enjoyed the workshop :) Hope you got home safely, so happy we are now connected and can stay in touch via the blogs and fb. Best wishes, Louisa x

      Delete
  2. Louisa! You did an amazing job with your workshop, and it was super useful. All this time I thought I had to sand furniture before painting it!! On Sunday morning I took my cousin out for lunch and while we were eating she was telling me that she wanted to paint a tired piece of furniture in her flat. I was like, I know show to do that! So I basically told her everything I had learned from your expert self the day before and sent her off with a list of things she needed. Nice timing, I thought! Anyway, loved seeing you, and can't wait til the next catch up. I want to know ALL about New York adventures, and will be keeping a close eye on West Egg. Lots of love, Holly x ps: thanks you for the special mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly, thank you so much for your kind words! I really enjoyed teaching the workshops and sharing my skills with a lovely group of bloggers! I'm so happy you were able to help your cousin - that is fabulous!

      Let me know when you are next in the UK and I'll come meet you for coffee, or if you have longer come up and visit us at the cottage!

      Louisa xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful scarf Lousia! Was so lovely to see you on Saturday, I'm only sorry I didn't get to come to your MTB presentation - guess I'll just have to come to one off your workshops instead!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Kate, thanks I am getting a bit obssessed with turquoise I fear... so lovely to see you at MTB, you're welcome at the workshops anytime of course xx

      Delete
  4. Louisa! How did I not attend your workshop?! It sounded brilliant-congratulations. Have a wonderful time in New York and I hope we get to see each other properly soon! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, Ah don't worry at all - I can do a 1/2 day one for you in Blunham, we must get together soon - so fun to see you at MTB! xx

      Delete
  5. Hey lovely... a delight to spend the weekend with you;-)

    Hope you're feeling better. I did completely LOVE your workshop. Informative, practical, fun!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina

      Super fun to see you and take part in your amazing design tour! So pleased you liked the workshop, it was fun having you there!

      Louisa xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Louisa,

    Sorry not to get to meet you at the event, I was too busy snapping away. My official photos are now on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93970345@N04/ and can be used with credit: Meet the Blogger London // Photographer Yeshen Venema.

    Your workshop did sound very interesting, again I would have loved to sit down and learn.. but had to rush off and document other parts of the event.

    I'll follow your blog and stay in touch.

    Best,Yeshen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yeshen,

      Thanks so much for your message, I loved the photos you took of MTB - really amazing. It was nice to meet you at MTB albeit briefly.

      Best wishes,
      Louisa

      Delete
  7. Laughing so much at your reference to Sunday Brunch - I totally agree! Have a wonderful time in NYC! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes you have to admit these things - I know I'm not the only one who finds them funny. It was a fab weekend anyway and so great to see you. Sooooooo excited for NYC tmrw, still not started packing though... xx

      Delete
  8. I so loved your workshop Louisa! I just wish I had taken a photo of you cleaning the beautiful blue paint off of your paintbrushes in the very stark and shiny bathroom :)
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete