Tuesday, 26 February 2013

What should I do with old magazines?

I have been umming and ahhing over this magazine problem since we moved West Egg into its new home at the converted barn. I have so many interiors magazines now that I am struggling to store them. At the moment some of them are stacked on one of the shelves in the office and the rest are still in boxes.

My friend Holly Marder who writes the Love, Thomas blog just posted some lovely and inspiring images of her re-organised home office. It's tidy, organised and delicately decorated in Holly's wonderful style and makes me more determined than ever to sort out these magazines. I mean, look at this image below... this is not good. I only stopped putting them on the shelf because I thought it would buckle. And yes, I am using a door stop as a book end...it's temporary, I hope...


I've actually bought some Kassett boxes from Ikea with the intention of going through the magazines and tearing out the best bits, organising them into design sections and then filing them into the boxes. Like a real-life Pinterest, except not on boards, in boxes. I know what you're thinking, original...!

What I'm wondering though, is, does this make me a freak that on the one hand I would be very much looking forward to this type of massive organisation project but knowing full well I'll get side-tracked and it'll be 2 days later I eventually re-surface from under mountains of cut up bits of magazine and paper shreds to see my husband and my dog stood them shaking their heads at me...umm. I am back to umming. 

So, I thought I'd ask you guys: what do you do with old magazines? Are there people out there that actually throw them away? I'm not much of a hoarder but when it comes to magazines, I am definitely a keep-it-just-in-case person.

I am working in London the next two days but I hope by the time I'm back on Friday I will have been struck with a thunderbolt of inspiration, or, alternatively, one of you lovely readers will have an amazing idea for me...! I will report back this weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Great post Louisa and I'm SO with you on the hoarding of magazines. After recently moving out of my boyfriends I realised just how many I had collected and how many trips to the van would be required to move them!!

    At the moment I have 2 huge plies of magazines by my spare bed which I use as a bedside table with a lamp on, so you could try and incorporate them as some kind of furniture piece? A friend of mine has his piled up along a wall in his study in increasing height which looks quite cool. I've also been to Paperchase and bought some brown kraft scrap books with a view to going through them all and creating collages from tear sheets....not sure when I will EVER have the time to do that....

    So, I'm also looking forward to hearing some great ideas of what to do with them! :-)

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, I'm so glad I'm not the only hoarder out there! I agree that moving house does make you realise how much stuff you accumulate, I was slightly mortified when I packed up the home office at how much "stuff" I had!

      LOVE the idea of using them as furniture pieces, I might try this! I also love the scrapbook idea - but I am definitely a bit short of time at the moment so maybe that is a sunday afternoon project! Will keep you posted x

      Delete
  2. i actually love stacks of magazines on the floor (though with a toddler this has become, temporarily, a thing of the past). have also been known to cut the pages carefully with a knife and file in binders.. what fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely something appealing about sitting down and selecting images into group and filing them, I think the most appealing bit is the sitting down :)

      Delete
  3. I like Anna's idea of piling them up into a piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison - me too! Great to connect with you here, will pop over to your blog as I haven't been there for a while x

      Delete
  4. Louisa, I have been through this too. I had the very first edition of Elle Decoration - that's how many magazines I have! When we moved out during our house renovation, I did do that tearing into sections thing - took me absolutely ages!! Anyway, it was nice to see it organised and you can flip through for inspiration. It piled up again!!

    With the advent of internet now, my motto is, you can get everything online, so I took the conscious effort to chuck them all away and I feel better for it - liberated after the declutter.

    Now, I usually hang on to the last 3 month's magazine but throw away one when a new one arrive.

    Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW the 1st edition that is so cool! The sorting and filing is appealing to me, I like the idea of sitting down to this with a nice pot of tea - but I am wary as I know I'll get carried away and it will takes ages as you say!

      Decluttering is so therapeutic, I guess especially with Pinterest now it's cool to have everything organised on there. Hanging on to the last 3 months worth is a good idea. My mum has just cleared out 10 years worth of Sainsbury's magazine and it was amazing to see the changes and difference in styles of food photography.

      Have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  5. For someone like me who lives in the teeniest place ever with no extra place for guests-- I love this idea for impromptu party seats!

    p.s. No joy for London Blogger weekend. I am SO sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rincy - nooooooo! I'm so sad, but let's organise another weekend in the summer - you can come and stay with us and we can do furniture painting and crafts in the barn! x

      Delete
  6. I keep loads of old magazines in a huge trug in the dining room. Periodically I go through them and the ones I want to keep have the corner of the back folded over. The ones I no longer want are given to a charity shop or friends. I know if I tore out what I wanted and filed it I wouldn't look at it. I have cancelled all my subscriptions and decided to only buy ones I particulary want such as Jeanne d'arc Living. Certain magazines have started to just have the same familiar content each month and anothr features artcles I have already seen in other mags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, lovely to hear from you. I think I will definitely give some of them away. Like you I also recently cancelled some subscriptions, you do become familiar with the same types of coverage and what not - I not really a trends person so it doesn't matter so much to me what is in and what is not!! I am loving online magazines like Heart Home and 91 magazine, they have fabulous content and really interesting styling and other less "traditional" magazine content. Have a great weekend x

      Delete