Monday, 14 January 2013

Styling Trend - the unmade bed

Hello everyone, happy Monday to you. It's snowing here in England which is super exciting, especially as I don't need to be anywhere today other than in my home office working away. Got some tea, got my pug, and I'm on a roll. 

I was taking a break earlier though and doing some research on painted wooden bed frames (I'm planning to paint ours) and I got really distracted by this trend for styling unmade beds. I've vaguely noticed it before but they seem to be everywhere. And I'm not talking turned down kind of unmade, I'm talking really messy unmade. It just does not appeal to me at all. Is this it for me? Have I totally lost it?! 

Just to clarify, I'm not saying everything has to be perfect. Far from it. I've never been into the kind of stuffy interior design look where you'd be scared to touch anything, let alone sit down. I want my living spaces to look stylish but not like they are trying too hard. Karate chop cushions do not do it for me. But, equally, at the other end of the interior styling spectrum, this unmade bed trend is not for me either. Picky, much?

And So To Bed 

And So To Bed - what an amazing company, their beds are just absolute heaven. I completely understand that having photo after photo of immaculately made beds could get a little boring so they've mixed it up. But this for me, is just not right! What do you think? 

The White Company

This is more my idea of the perfectly made bed. Not too neat but it looks comfortable, classic, and most importantly, inviting. The only thing I would change is to add a headboard. And not a karate chop cushion in sight! Actually, there is a great blog post on Apartment Therapy about karate chop pillows, and design peeves in general - take a look here. Some of the comments are very funny too. 

So, which camp are you in? Unmade, or made? Please leave a comment to let me know what you think - I'd love to hear from you. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I couldn't stand an unmade bed for an entire day; it would drive me insane. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh glad I'm not the only one! Love your blog btw!

      Delete
  2. Couldn't agree more. It looks more contrived than the most perfectly styled vignette. I shall let this trend pass me by. Triciax

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a magazine stylist in the '90's we did the unmade bed for shoots to give it a lived in look! But we ended up doing just what you said here- we did some perfect beds and some rumpled 'I want to climb into that bed' look. I do have a personal fetish- I can't get into an unmade bed at night, so I end up tucking those sheets in minutes after I get up! Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there, thank you so much for leaving a comment on the west egg blog. I'm so happy to connect with the readers of this blog and I always try and reply to new comments as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...