Monday, 17 December 2012

Design Twenty

If you're a regular reader you probably know I was in Hannover two weekends ago for the Blogging Your Way Studio Workshop hosted by Holly Becker and Stefanie Luxat. On the Saturday afternoon we visited some lovely interiors stores in Hannover which were super inspiring and just plain gorgeous. The main aim was to find inspiration and different stories around us so that whatever shops and events we visit in whatever city/town/village we're in, we'll find an angle to blog from. It was a really fun exercise, not just because we got to go shopping, but it really made me think about where I live now in England. What's going on there? 

I lived in London for 7 years so I know there is always *so* much going on there, fun parties, great shops, events, trade shows, everything. Oh and it's the centre of the design universe during LDF. I now live (almost, renovation pending) in Blunham, Bedfordshire. Not exactly known for being the design destination of England. But actually, just like in Hannover, there are little gems tucked away that you just need a bit of time to search out. 


When my husband was home for R&R in November, we pootled around Bedford trying to find the coffee shop a friend had recommended. And that's how I found Design Twenty. It's a wonderful shop brimming with mid-century delights tucked away in the newly developed Castle Quay area of Bedford. I've been meaning to blog about Design Twenty for 4 weeks, oh the shame. Another positive effect of the #BYWStudio was getting some focus back in my life. Woot woot, thank you Holly!

Anyway, getting back on track... Design Twenty is run by Andy Nicholls who moved up to Bedfordshire in 2012 having spent the last 10 years running the shop from London. We had such a fun chat about moving out of London and it was such a pleasure talking to him. Hi Andy - I bet you had given up on me, right?!


I particularly loved the Jasper Morrison glo-ball lights (click here to see more images) because they don't cast a shadow and give the most incredible light. 


I was also completely smitten with this lovely range of cushions from the School of Craft, such pretty and delicate designs.


It was really interesting looking through the brilliant selection of design books for sale, I wanted to take them all and start my own little library collection.



I was just so impressed with the carefully curated selection of furniture and accessories available that I had to share it. If any of you readers out there happen to be in Bedford, take a stroll down to the Castle Quay area - there are some really brilliant independent retailers down there, as well as Design Twenty, and it's so worth getting off the high street. I'm so excited to have such a wonderful and inspiring shop right on my doorstep. Let me know what you think if you visit. 

Images: Louisa Blackmore, West Egg

7 comments:

  1. This store looks lovely, what is LDF? Is it like LSD ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, OMG I just nearly spat my cup of tea out laughing at your comment!! LDF is London Design Festival, but I like the idea of LSD way more!

      http://www.londondesignfestival.com/

      You're so funny x x

      Delete
    2. Louisa, the black-orange bowl is beautiful. Can you send it over to me? I could write a story about it in my regular column with color of the year :). And do not forget to include those exercise books, they are so lovely!

      xox, Magda

      Delete
  2. I would straight away buy the green upholstered armchair and bench! Lovely find, Louisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Louisa! I just discovered your blog today via The Cheese Kitchen on Facebook, I'm a Bedford-based blogger too, working in advertising but also obsessed with vintage interiors and so love this piece on design twenty its also one of my favourite shops in Bedford. I'm looking forward to reading much more of your blog! Thanks!

    Sam antiqueowl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete