Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Look Inside: The Home of Nigel Barker

I came across the super cool West Village home of famed fashion photographer Nigel Barker and his wife Crissy in a recent issue of Page Six Magazine which is free inside the New York Post. However, since I live in the UK I get my fix online at http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag which works just as well. I think it's really great to be able to access newspapers and magazine supplements from all over the world via the internet because it can give such a fresh perspective on interiors and styling.



Anyway, this feature on Nigel Baker really grabbed my attention. In tthe interview he talks about this treasured portrait of his mother “This...is my mama. Crissy said whenever she’s in the kitchen she feels like my mom’s staring at her.” The painting used to hang in the bedroom. “But she got put in the hall, which is far more appropriate,” says Crissy. I can kind of see her point.



Love love love this incredible arrangement of photographs. It's a pretty bold statement and such a great exhibition wall.



And this bedroom just looks so fresh and different. The room divider headboard is such an inspired idea and is so quirky and fun. I almost wish there was a zoomed out version of this photograph so you could see all the other art work on the wall as well. In the interview Nigel describes his home as  “colorful, and real. It has a heartbeat. Everything means something.” 

For me, I think that's exactly the point of home interiors, my most treasured home pieces are always the ones with a story behind them, bits and bobs I've picked up overseas or gifts from family or friends.

Reading this piece has also encouraged me to be braver with colour. As I start to think about decorating the barn space for West Egg, I always find myself erring towards the more cautious and muted side of the colour spectrum. I need to be brave! I'll keep you posted on how that goes...

The full interview and more images are available by clicking here if you want to see more.

All images: kindly permitted by Michael Edwards for Page Six Magazine


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete