Monday, 10 September 2012

Astier de Villatte at Liberty

I was in London last week to see the play One Man, Two Guvnors with a friend - it was hands down the funniest thing I've ever seen and such a wonderful break from the house and barn renovations which are pretty unfun at times. I was a hysterical weeping mess (in a good way) by the interval and afterwards I could barely speak my jaw was aching from laughing so much.  

Anyway, before all that madness I was due to meet my friend on Great Malborough Street so I caught an earlier train so I'd have time for a spin around Liberty before supper. (We went to Ping Pong because for me, dim sum = heavenly yum yum).


Wow, it's been at least a year since I last visited and although I had less than an hour I had a wonderful time browsing through the beautiful homewares department.



I remember when my Mum took me to London when I was around 12 or 13 years old and said we were going to a very special London department store. I still remember walking in and being completely blown away by the mock Tudor architecture and design.

As I made my way round the homewares department, I was thrilled to see Astier de Villatte products are now available at Liberty. I'm not sure how long they have been available - I may be a little slow on the uptake? Who knows, it was great to see their beautiful designs in the flesh. 


I first came across Astier de Villatte ceramics about 3 years ago and while the price tag is still a little out of reach, it was lovely to window shop. They are definitely worth saving up for and I've got a few items written down now that I know I'll love and treasure so much. 


I am completely in love with the craft and attention to quality that has gone into the design of the crockery. They are designed by Benoit Astier de Villatte and produced using the old-fashioned handbuilding technique that was used prior to the casting method. I love the delicate and elegant detailing which is really quite subtle and low-key. The ceramic chopping boards are so fabulous, I'd love one as a cheese platter and the star plates are *just* amazing. I definitely need one or five of those in my kitchen / life.



Tivoli, Marienbad, Kobe and Delphi are just a handful of the incredible range of candles available. With wildly different and unusual scents it was such a treat to take off the glass lids and inhale these heady aromas. My favourite was the Cabourg, described as "très chic Normandy seaside. It was under the arbours flower gardens of the Grand Hotel that Marcel Proust wrote In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower. A delectable scent of wisteria, hot spiced creamy jasmine spray chills invade these places". Pretty cool that a candle description can whisk you off to a far flung place in seconds. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the play so much;))

    I forget how spoilt I am living 15 mns away from Liberty. However, I don't take that for granted!!!

    AdV have been selling in Liberty for a while (I think). I first came across them in their Paris shop in 2000 and remember being taken aback by the price tags.

    I love their stuff. Say hi to Alfie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina!

      Oh my GOODNESS it was the funniest thing EVER! Lucky you living 15 mins from Liberty. I suspected AdV had been there a little while but the first time I spotted them - their Paris store is just ahhhh.mazing!!

      Alfie says woof! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Louisa, I adore Liberty too - love the way all the items are so well curated - a mix of modern, vintage and the eclectic. Those star plates are fab - great for Christmas servings. Say hi to Alfie from me too. Hopefully he will meet Pentillen soon :)

    ReplyDelete