Friday, 20 July 2012

My Top 5 Home Renovation Blogs

I've realised I've become really preoccupied with the new house and renovating it in just the last week. After months of not letting myself get too excited, telling myself "don't think about", "don't jinx it", I now feel like I can really let off steam and get stuck into the research for the project. 

Researching insulation for the barn is not that interesting to me but it's such a necessary and vital part of the barn that we have to get it right. So I have to be interested. I'll keep you posted on how that goes...

When I'm not researching insulation methods, I like to read about other people's renovation projects. I suppose I'm just really nosy, but I want to know how other people did things, did they work, what went wrong, what was the lowest) point, what did it feel like when it was finished, do they love it, would they do it again. You get the picture. I thought I'd share with you the 5 blogs I am obsessed with right now that cover home renovation projects:


Image: Young House Love

Sherry and John are two self-confessed DIY geeks whose story of transforming their first home and now their second home is truly inspiring. They blog about everything to do with their projects, ideas, inspiration, tips, home life, family, it's an amazing resource and they are bringing out a book later this year. Excited.


Image: The House Directory

Honestly, I don't know what I would do without the The House Directory. It is such a brilliant resource of just about everything you could possibly need in the world of interiors. I love their blog for the latest fresh finds. 


Image: Katy Elliott

Katy and her husband have been renovating their 260 year old house in New England for the last few years. I've been following her blog for at least 2 years, maybe longer and it's brilliant. She is so inspiring, honest and takes everything in her stride. 


Image: Mad About The House

Kate Watson-Smyth is an incredibly well respected freelance journalist and her relatively new blog Mad About The House has already gathered a huge following. She shares details of her own house renovation project in London in witty and searingly honest blog posts that make you think it's all going to be okay. I also love 365 Objects of Design. For one year she posts a daily suggestion for household accessories that will enhance your home. 


Image: Bower Power

Katie Bower is just so funny, her blog is so funny, even her "about" page is funny. I kind of get lost reading all the old posts from time to time. You know you've found a good blog when you spend at least an hour just surfing through the old posts. I think that's what I like so much about blogging, it's a series of in-the-moment thoughts on something whereas books and magazines can sometimes be edited to within an inch of their life.

3 of the 5 blogs above are run by women called variations of the name Katy. What's that about? Hmmm. I don't have time to ponder that though as I'm off to rip out some more cupboards, and today we might actually be able to get the front door open after removing the ivy. Fingers crossed. You can follow my progress over at Nest Egg by clicking here

27 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for including me! Slowly we will get it all done!

    Katy's rock!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the journey, hope you are keeping well x

      Delete
  2. Home renovations would require the use of DIY techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also add style and texture to your walls or furniture just by painting them. Home renovators are fond of doing whitewashing these days. It is a technique that allows you to brighten your wood or cement surfaces without hiding the pattern. Whitewashing is a great idea as it can accent the design of any room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely these 5 blog site are known to post great information about home renovation. Surely there are more sites there that post great stuff. We cannot limit this in 5 only. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally agree, these are just *my* personal top 5!

      Delete
  5. very nice, the decoration of second picture, i guess some simple wallpaper made it more beautiful. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It contains truly information. Your website is very useful. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more! Great visualization and unique informative article indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pearlie, painting furniture and wall is not just to enhance house attraction it also includes protection from insects to furniture. Reserve Studies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good sources to get the home renovation tips. Ideas provided in these blogs are unique and can help to make your dream home beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oh my, I love that staircase from the House Directory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg! I really love this page actually I'm willing to visit this time just to take a look for the new valuable content.-pantry doors-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Thanks a lot! I am really pleased to see your blog sharing such a nice and informative content. I am actually looking for something exactly like this! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can also put design and also consistency for your partitions or household furniture just by portray all of them. House renovators are generally attracted to undertaking whitewashing these days. This is a method which means that you can lighten your current timber or concrete floor types of surface devoid of concealing this design. Whitewashing is a superb notion as it may accent the structure connected with just about any bedroom.

    http://www.kbhome.com/new-homes-las-vegas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the images above. I like the post. This is great. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A proper expert must be hired if a person believes the project might be too difficult to finish alone. Reading about remodeling and looking at other remodeling projects in order to establish realistic goals is important in order to avoid frustration during the project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing these top house renovation blogs. It's so interesting especially when you see different interior designs. Thanks for the share! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good work…unique site and interesting too… keep it up…looking forward for more updates.renovation contractor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.
    interior design

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post, it is really very interesting I like your Home Improvement services.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful services and extremely beautiful houses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! Thank you for sharing. Hope to hear more form you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it is interesting and full of information.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post! Thank you for sharing. Hope to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete